We are participating in Oregon Business' 100 Best Non-Profits survey. We hope to win. But if we don’t, that’s okay. We’ve compiled a list of reasons, in no particular order, why Adelante Mujeres is, in our minds, the best place to work:
- Office babies. Or babies in general who appear at our office, our staff meetings or other places. Adelante Mujeres understands that babies and women go hand in hand and one without the other is unnatural. So everyone is welcome and accommodated.
- Our Leader. She hugs us when we get to work, genuinely cares about our non-work lives (or lack thereof) and treats everyone as equals throughout the organization. She inspires us and helps us to see our own potential. Errors to her are only learning opportunities and she isn’t just a boss but a friend.
- Snacks. At every meeting. Always. We are not talking chips and salsa; I’m talking empanadas, tamales, mole, tostadas, etc. Food is culture and we embrace that.
- Office dogs. First there was Nellie, the blind dog. Then Mozzie and his protective growl. Now there is Morgan, visiting all the way from New Mexico.
- The Forest Grove Farmers Market. Fresh Oregon Strawberries – need I say more? Adelante brings these and many other great produce, craft and food vendors to downtown Forest Grove every Wednesday from May to October.
- Our Board of Directors. They are community members and friends and guide us on our way. They are a governing force with a unicorn and rainbow coating. We trust them to guide us and they trust us to do good work. Their dedication to Adelante Mujeres is commendable and each year they get better and better.
- Carpool. Bike. Public Transit. It is all encouraged and hours are flexible so we can commit to travel with the environment in mind.
- Spanglish. The official language of Adelante Mujeres! Our bilingual staff flows in and out of Spanish and English and loves to make up new words such as “coche-piscina’ for a literal translation of “carpool” or “planta de huevos” for “eggplant”. We crack ourselves up. Plus, we are constantly learning – everyone speaks Spanish but we all learned it in different places so our word choices vary. The Guatamaltecos use different vocabulary than the Paraguayans and the Mexicans have their slang that I’m trying so desperately to learn. Everyone adds to Adelante’s language official.
- Project Participants. We would not be who we are without the amazing women, men and children who make up Adelante Mujeres. They have become a part of our family and will forever have a place in our hearts. Their courage and determination are an example for us all.
Please help us add to our list-we can easily get to 100 reasons we love Adelante Mujeres with your help!