History & Values
Adelante Mujeres educates and empowers Latina women and their families through holistic programs that ensure their full participation and active leadership in the community.
Founded in 2002 by Bridget Cooke and Sister Barbara Raymond, Adelante Mujeres was created to serve an otherwise overlooked population: Latina women. Through their work with the Latino community in other local organizations, Bridget and Barbara noticed that Latina women did not actively participate in classes or activities, and often remained isolated in their homes. When Adelante Mujeres began to offer programs developed specifically for their needs, these women quickly found their voices.
Sister Barbara Raymond (left) and Bridget Cooke, Co-Founders of Adelante Mujeres
Adelante Mujeres has been serving western Washington County for over 15 years and has worked with over 3,500 families. We strive to continually evolve our education and enterprise opportunities to meet the various needs of low income Latino families in our community.
As our organization continues to grow, our programs and services have expanded to serve Latino men as well as women, especially through our microenterprise and agriculture services and the Forest Grove Farmers Market. At Adelante Mujeres, we endeavor to strengthen Latino families as a whole because we believe a strong community requires the inclusion of everyone.
Adelante Mujeres provides holistic education and empowerment opportunities to low income Latina women and their families to ensure full participation and active leadership in the community.
We envision a community where all families thrive.
- Believe in yourself and others and commit to personal growth
- Be in solidarity with the community
- Love and respect the earth
Quality education is a fundamental right of all people and a prerequisite to an engaged community. Adelante’s holistic education programs promote school readiness for young children, pathways to higher education for youth, and lifelong learning for adults. We believe every individual should have the opportunity for meaningful education.
In order for communities to thrive it is essential to build individual and communal power for the common good. At Adelante Mujeres, we encourage a belief in each individual’s capacities and innate worth, we promote practices that lead to health and well-being, we affirm cultural and social diversity, and we advocate for leadership grounded in solidarity.
Self and collective initiative, innovation, and integrity are vital for a flourishing society. Adelante’s microenterprise programs combine these attributes with an abiding respect for the earth to promote sustainable economies that support the entire community. We encourage every entrepreneur to consider people, planet, and profit when planning their business.
Adelante Mujeres strives to:
- Increase opportunities for family and community self-determination through holistic education, workforce and entrepreneurial training and family literacy.
- Build community through leadership development and the search for solutions to common concerns.
- Preserve, foster and share participants’ cultural heritage with the wider community and facilitate intercultural exchange.
- Advocate ecological awareness and action for a sustainable economy and healthy communities.
Adelante Mujeres believes in:
- Cooperation, accountability and a fair distribution of resources.
- Commitment to the resolution of conflict through peaceful means.
- Awareness and appreciation of the inter-relatedness of all life in the universe.